Useful facts and information about education and
literacy in Michigan and America
Below are links to Articles from Magazines and Newspapers as
well as reports from a variety of State and National government
agencies. They are all in PDF format which allows them to be
downloaded, saved and printed.
John Taylor Gatto, New York state and New York city teacher of the year.
A highly intelligent, often outspoken and very authoritative speaker, as
well as author of several books best selling books dealing with the
current difficulties within the American education system.
Below are reports from a variety of sources. The TIMMS reports refer to
math and science. The Skills Gap and Adult Literacy reports relate to the
Free Press article at the top of the page. The skills employers want
discusses the list of abilities that are sought by businesses when hiring
Interesting and informative articles.
- A nation at risk produced an important TLC quote on page 12.
- Bankrupting children - children's physical and psychological resource
bank is exhausted by the middle of 2nd grade.
- cost of remedial education - huge expense revealed in 3rd paragraph
of Executive summary on page 3
- Blumfield NEA - The NEA Helps Promote Functional Illiteracy, Dyslexia,
- Phonics research - This document references the various studies and
reports done by the government that prove phonics reading instruction is
the most effective method.
- The truth about American schools - A broad view of the American
school situation, topics include; No Child Left Behind, vouchers, charter
schools and more
- Crystal Palace - This article includes a piece written in the 1850's by
Horace Greely, famous for the quote "Go West Young Man". Reading the
article will clearly demonstrate the great decline in American prose.
- Waiting for 'Superman' - documentary of the year 2010. Exposing the
problems with the public education system. Katie Curic interviews the
director of the movie, Davis Guffenheim.